The Illusion of Happiness

The Illusion of Happiness



I am 30 years old, and I hate coming home. The door opens, and I am greeted with the overwhelming scent of lavender and the sight of my wife, sitting on the couch. It's been two months since we tied the knot, and I already regret it.


I used to love her, but I don't anymore. There's no spark, no excitement, no love. We spend most of our time watching television in silence. I don't enjoy being around her, and I can tell that she feels the same way.


I think about divorce constantly, but I’m not afraid. I’m just afraid of what will happen to her. I just want to be alone, I also can't stand being with someone who doesn't make me happy.


Last night, we went to dinner. I watched as she carefully cut her steak, delicately chewing each bite. It disgusted me. I excused myself from the table and went to the restroom, sitting on the toilet in silence, trying to build the courage to end things.


But I couldn't do it. I walked back to the table and sat there in silence, pretending that everything was fine. But it's not fine. It's far from it.


I don't know what to do. I feel trapped, suffocated, and unhappy. I wish I could go back in time and make a different choice. But I can't.


I am 30 years old, and I am not happy with my wife. Should I divorce her? I don't know, but one thing is certain. I can't keep living like this. Something needs to change.

Wellington 3 Publishing

Wellington 3 Publishing presents Wellington’s Short Story Collection and Wellington Best Stories Writing is truly a labor of love for us at Wellington 3 Publishing where we take great pleasure in being able to create meaningful stories and to have them published. Wellington 3 Publishing is looking forward to sharing more of our works with the world in the coming years.

1 Comments

  1. Anonymous7/10/2023

    Great short story! Question: you mention that you don't like your wife, but you mention that you are afraid of what will happen to her if you do divorce her. Why would you care about what happens to her? I am interested in more detail here.

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form