Caught in the Downpour

 

Rainy days- Caught in the Downpour


It was one of those Wednesday’s s at the office where even the thought of coffee couldn't get me going. Looking out the window, all I could see was a thick layer of silver droplets relentlessly pounding the glass. It seemed like the universe was reflecting the sentiments inside, drenching the outside world grey skies, not a single glimmer of sunlight in sight.


Sitting in the confinement of the office building, there was really nothing else to do than be hypnotised by the raindrops hitting the roof and trickling down the glass pane. They held an eerie similarity to my overflowing tasks for the day – incessant, piling, and utterly inescapable. Even the typically riveting numbers and spreadsheets couldn't keep my eyes from drifting towards the drizzle, lulling my senses to a mind-numbing monotony.


As much as I tried to divert my attention back to work, it felt like the rain outside was hypnotizing. The repetitive, rhythmic patter of rain was like a symphony specially curated for a power nap. Every time I tried not to think about it i can feel the sleepiness creeping in, another large, ostentatious raindrop would land on the glass, demanding attention with a hollow plonk. Despite knowing that the trickster rain was playing a sleep-trance on my eyelids, I couldn't stop falling for the same artful tactics.


 For just a minute maybe two, I shut my eyes, revelling in the crescendo of rain - imagining the shrouded trees and drowned pavements outside. My eyelids became heavy, dancing at the tune of the rain, rising and falling with its rhythm. A sweet temptation to sleep embraced my senses.


And just when you think it’s about to be a good nap. Boom your boss slaps a stack of papers on your desk and says congrats you get to answer these emails. Grumbling, I battled the relentless lethargy trying to engulf me, shook my head, and threw a challenging glare towards the teasing rain. This time I refused to let the deceptive enchantress have its way.


Although the rain remained a sleep-mechanism for all day long process, with my mind afloat in caffeinated push, I pushed through. Staring back at my laptop, I turned to my productive playlist. 


Throughout the day, the downpour continued. Yet the resonating harmony was no longer the reigning queen but a defeated sorceress. Sleep didn’t claim my eyelids again that day. As the world outside succumbed to the haunting lullaby of the rain, I sat and slayed the dragon of slumber within, each coffee cup at a time.

Wellington’s 3 Publishing’s

Wellington’s 3 Publishing’s presents Wellington’s Short Story Collection and Wellington Best Stories Writing is truly a labor of love for us at Wellington’s 3 Publishing’s where we take great pleasure in being able to create meaningful stories and to have them published. Wellington’s 3 Publishing’s is looking forward to sharing more of our works with the world in the coming years.

2 Comments

  1. Very nice read. Very smooth, kind of story for curling up in a cozy corner on a quiet evening.
    Enjoyed it, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1/26/2024

    Really enjoyed this story , 🫶🏽👑

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form