Answer, Repeat, Regret

 "Why bother even answering if she does call? All it's going to be is the same thing over and over again," Aaron mumbles to himself. Sadly, he feared he already knew the answer.


Man surprised, Answer, Repeat, Regret

His phone started ringing, breaking the tense silence. He had took a double look at his phone. The number was unfamiliar, but maybe...


Against his better judgment, he swiped to answer. "Hello?"


"Hi, is this Aaron?" The voice on the other end sounded so familiar, but he couldn't quite place it.


"Speaking. Who is this?" he asked cautiously.


"You don't recognize my voice? I must have the wrong number? 


No you don’t I just can’t pick up on your voice. 


Oh okay well, it's April."


April. The memories came flooding back - the flirtatious stared at work, the secret hotel rendezvous, the burning desire he thought he'd never feel again after he found out she was married. And then the abrupt end when her husband almost caught them.


"April, the girl with the charcoal black curly hair? My ex-coworker who was married but messed around with me because it was 'different than what she was accustomed to'?" The bitterness crept into his voice.


"We stopped messing around because I texted you and you responded later than usual. Then I panicked and sent that text saying 'Look, my husband's here, don't text so much and no I’m not yours.' But you just thought I was making excuses and got mad at me."


Aaron scoffed. "Can you blame me? You basically told me to back off while just keeping me on the hook. Then you said I’m not yours. What was I supposed to think?"


"I know, I know," April said soothingly. "But that's all in the past now. My husband's out of town on business..."


He could practically hear the suggestive smile through the phone. Aaron closed his eyes, feeling his willpower weaken. She had been his kryptonite from the moment they first locked eyes.


"If this is just going to be the same game all over again, why bother?" he asked wearily. "The thrill, the sneaking around, the constant push and pull - I don't know if I have it in me anymore, April."


There was a pause, then: "When it’s good it’s hard not to come back for more plus can’t nobody do else do you the way I can?" April said. 


Aaron's heart skipped a beat. He tried to protest, but April's sultry laugh cut him off. "My place in an hour?"


Feeling utterly defeated, all he could muster to say was yeah whatever...​​​​​​​​​​​


To be continued………

Wellington’s 3 Publishing’s

Wellington’s 3 Publishing’s presents Wellington’s Short Story Collection and Wellington Best Stories Writing is truly a labor of love for us at Wellington’s 3 Publishing’s where we take great pleasure in being able to create meaningful stories and to have them published. Wellington’s 3 Publishing’s is looking forward to sharing more of our works with the world in the coming years.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form