"The Unintended Consequences of Alvin's Prayer"

 There lived a man named Alvin. Alvin had reached a point in his life where the daily grind of work had drained him completely. His alarm clock was the enemy five days a week, and his office building maintenance job was his personal prison. So, one day, he decided to take matters into his own hands—or rather, on his knees.


Man praying to the Lord, "The Unintended Consequences of Alvin's Prayer"

Alvin got down on his knees, closed his hands together, and looked up at the ceiling. "Lord," he said, "I know You're listening. I'm just going to get straight to the point. Ok can you please take any kind of work from around my heart. I need a break."


Lord: Here he go. 

And the Lord, being who he is, nodded in agreement. "Ok, Alvin," He said. "Consider it done."


A month or two passed, and Alvin woke up one morning feeling lighter. The weight of emptying trash cans cleaning a brown stain toilets after lunch and picking up toilet paper off the floor that stuck underneath someone shoes had vanished. He no longer had to deal with annoying coworkers or buffering endless hallways floors. Life was surprisingly work-free.


But then it hit him—the unintended consequence of his prayer. Alvin stood in front of the bathroom mirror, scratching his head. "Baby," he called out to his wife, Bambi, who was busy frying chicken wings in the kitchen. "Look here, I'm downstairs."


Bambi wiped her hands on her apron and walked over. "What is it now, Alvin?"


Alvin pointed at himself. "I had prayed to the Lord the other night and told Him to take all work from around my heart. And you know what? He did it!"


Bambi raised an eyebrow. "That's great, Alvin. Okay, what's the problem?"


Alvin grinned. "Well, now I can't bathe myself. That's why you are standing here."


Bambi stared at him, looking puzzled. "What you mean you can't bathe yourself? Why not Alvin?"


"Cause baby," Alvin explained, "the Lord took away all work from around my heart, and I guess me bathing myself would be considered as work.


Bambi burst into laughter. "Alvin, you're a mess! You prayed for no work, and now you're a none working man who can't even wipe his behind."


Alvin nodded solemnly. "Exactly. I mean, I appreciate the break from work, but this is a bit extreme, you think?"


Bambi wiped tears from her eyes. "You got what you asked for. You better get back on your knees and ask the Lord to give you back an arm and a leg. Just one of each, you know, so you can at least wipe yourself cause baby!."


Alvin nodded. "Good idea. Lord, if You're listening, which I know you are. Could You please leave me an arm and a leg? Just one of each. Amen."

Wellington’s 3 Publishing’s

Wellington’s 3 Publishing’s presents Wellington’s Short Story Collection and Wellington Best Stories Writing is truly a labor of love for me and I take great pleasure in being able to create meaningful stories and to have them published. I look forward to sharing more of my work with the world in the coming years.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form