Rising Above The Whispers 2

 The next day 


Mike wake up with the weight of yesterday still clinging to him. But as he stretch and shake off the remnants of sleep, something shifts.


A thought came to mind: "Misery loves company, but I'm not that company."


I believe in me written with a man standing in front of the writing with his arms wide open


He would repeat it to myself as he was getting ready for work. With each repetition, he could feel his energy strengthening his spine. 


When walking into the office Mike sees Tim about to say something to him. But this time Mike meets him head-on. "Shut up Tim. I'm not interested in your opinion of me or my life."


Tim was shock by Mike’s attitude this morning. 


At lunch, Mike doesn’t look for Stephanie or anyone else. Instead, he sits alone, sketching out my latest idea in a notebook. The energy he used to waste on trying to get their approval now flows into my work.


Tim approaches cautiously. "What are you working on?"


Mike talks to him for a moment. "Something that matters to me," Mike replied. "Whether it matters to anyone else is irrelevant."


He nods slowly, with a flare or something – respect? envy? – in his eyes.


As the day progresses, Mike starts to feel lighter. Their whispers and side-eyes no longer got to him. He realize that he had been welcoming their negativity letting it put him in a bad mood. Not anymore. 


Leaving the office, Mike’s overhear Lisa start her usual "Poor thing" routine. I turn to her, my voice calm but firm. "Why in the hell you keep saying “Aww poor thing”. I don’t need you to feel sorry for me I'm not worried about those two. poor, Lisa. I'm motivated and determined to succeed and that’s worth way more than any pity."


Mike walked out the room head high, leaving her stunned and silence. 


At home, Mike worked on his projects with a renewed focus. Their voices still echo in my head, but now they're just fuel for my fire rather than making him feel down.  


Mike’s wasn’t naive to know that tomorrow will bring new challenges, new attempts to drag him down. But he’s ready. He has tasted the freedom of not giving a damn about what they say or their opinions and could care less about the whispering behind his back. 


Misery might love company, but Mike has other plans. He’s building something here with or without their approval. And for the first time in a long time he’s excited to see where this journey goes. 

Wellington 3 Publishing

Wellington 3 Publishing presents Wellington’s Short Story Collection and Wellington Best Stories Writing is truly a labor of love for us at Wellington 3 Publishing where we take great pleasure in being able to create meaningful stories and to have them published. Wellington 3 Publishing is looking forward to sharing more of our works with the world in the coming years.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form